Springtime brings warmer weather, blue skies, and the itch to get outside and play! According to the Centers for Disease Control, nearly 20 percent of our nation’s youth are overweight, which means that being physically active is more important than ever. Outdoor activities don’t have to be expensive. Here are some great ways to get your kids (and you!) active and on-the-move.
- Walk to school or work. If you live close enough, save on the gas, and walk or ride your bike—to school, work, errands, wherever! Just don’t forget the helmet if you bike.
- Visit the park. No matter your children’s ages, there is always something to do at the park. Play on the playground, roll around on the grass, or start a pick-up game of kickball or basketball.
- Walk the dog. The canines in your life are anxious to get moving in the nice weather too!
- Play a game. FamilyFun has a long list of indoor or outdoor activities to get your family on the move. Try some of these takes on your favorite games.
- Play inside. For those wet spring days, find an indoor play area. Indoor rock climbing or trampoline facilities are popping up everywhere. Find one close to you.
- Make a craft. Even if your family doesn’t participate in a physical activity, enjoy some great family time and create a springtime craft. About.com has a list of great ideas.
Most of all, enjoy your family and get active this spring!